Sunday, September 1, 2013

Spinal Cord Injury Awareness


As you're reading this, I'm on a plane heading out to bright and beautiful California for the journey of a lifetime. It just so happens that today is also the start of Spinal Cord Injury awareness month. I thought it'd be fun to add facts/answer your questions during the month. 

Today I wanted to introduce my new readers to my injury and about my personal story.

June 13, 2012 was the day I became paralyzed after being involved in a car accident. (you can read all about that here). My personal level of injury is T12. Basically what that means is that my back broke at that level and that's where my spinal cord is damaged. I'm paralyzed (without feeling/movement) from my hips down. I also have hypersensitive areas in my stomach. Feeling is more than movement right now and I have a CONSTANT burning in my legs. I've been told this means my nerves are waking back up. I've had this since about a month after my wreck. I'm on my way to California to attend Project Walk, a spinal cord injury rehab center. I've had a lot of small progress since my injury date and I have outlined it all in this blog, so take a peep around if you're curious.

what is a spinal cord injury(SCI)?
A SCI is just what it sounds like, an injury to the spinal cord. It's causes damages to the pathways from my brain to my legs. The brain can send signals but the legs never get them because there's something blocking them. My doctor explained it like water trying to get through a water hose that is pinched off + very little of the water comes through.

will you walk again?
Good question but I can't see the future. Your guess is as good as mine. Read more about this question here.

how does Mikal feel about your chair?
Mikal is such a great man. I can't even begin to explain how much I love that man. He is so supportive of me and is always there to cheer me up on my bad days. We talked about dating once before, give that a read. It's a good one. Brings a tear to my eye, he is too sweet.

how has your life changed?
My life has changed so much! I had to basically learn how to do everything over again like a baby. I had trouble sitting, bathing myself or doing simple tasks for myself. I don't think the changes in my life have been negative though, I totally feel I've grown up so much as a person. Sometimes I get upset that I had to grow up and give up things I want to do (like having to sell tickets to see my favorite band this October to save money for PW) but I know that when it's all said + done, I will look back and be thankful for this.


ask me questions here + email them to me. I will be answering your questions through the month.
I'll also be posting lots of Project Walk updates + videos.



6 comments :

  1. I'm a newer reader and only just learned about your injury when you first mentioned Project Walk, so thanks for sharing your story again! I'm sending all sorts of positive thoughts for your rehab in California!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I am so excited about your stay in Cali! Secondly, the post you and Mikal did is seriously heartwarming. I love how understanding he is, and how honest you guys are with each other. You two have something seriously beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! I can't wait to learn more about it! I've been thinking about you all day knowing that you were traveling and beginning your program!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your story! You are an inspiration. I wish you all the best at Project Walk and can't wait to read your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post dear, thank you for the information!
    Also, LOVE the new design! It really seems like you Sabrina(:

    -XO Abbigayle Rashae
    -trueblueabbi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes such a strong person as yourself to reveal all that!
    I'm sending you all positive vibes to you and your family and I wish you well and much progress in the rehab!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink