Saturday, August 17, 2013

Let's Talk About Long Distance Relationships.


As you know, I've been dating Mikal for about 7 months now. I met Mikal online + we decided to meet IRL once we both felt comfortable. Instantly we hit it off + we became a "thing". The hardest part about this is Mikal lives in Indiana and I currently live in Tennessee. I can't drive to see him whenever I miss him and he can't just come here on impulse. It's roughly a six hour drive, one way. I get lucky because I get to see him about once a month (sometimes sooner) but it's still never a long enough stay. I miss him the moment I leave him until the moment I see him again.

It's so hard to make a relationship work and it takes both sides giving it their all. Being so far apart, Mikal and I have to have great communication or else we wouldn't have lasted this far. I am seriously so thankful he even puts up with me because that's a whole new story.


Whenever I tell people Mikal and I live so far apart, people always have negative things to say. "Long distance can only last so long." or "What happens if he cheats on you/you cheat on him?" but what people don't understand is that if you love someone, you're going to do what it takes to make it work. I trust Mikal and he trusts me and even if that weren't the case, cheating can happen if you live in the same house. Long distance relationships are difficult but if both people work at the relationship, it will work. Mikal and I won't be living apart forever, just until we can work things out to be closer.

One thing I've noticed since being with Mikal is that each time I go to meet him, I get all nervous again. Just like I did the first time we met. My heart races and I'm so worried he won't like me- I know that won't be the case. I used to always joke with him that I thought he was going to stand me up and just not be there to meet me. (That's still kind of a fear, honestly.. haha)

I don't want people to think that just because you're in a LDR, things can't work. They can and you see it so often. Just like with most things, people only seem to remember the negative things about certain situations. There's not all bad to having a LDR. I can go weeks without shaving and not even feel that bad about it because Mikal won't see my hairy legs.


I know I had a few of you reach out to me and tell me how you find ways to make your long distance relationship work. Someone told me she writes letters to her boyfriend, someone said lots of skype dates. There's so much you can do to keep things alive + working well if you really put your all into.


Are you in a long distance relationship? If so, what do you do?


3 comments :

  1. The reason every one is so negative is because it takes too really special people who care about each other to successfully have a long distance relationship. I was in one a few years ago and we would watch movies over the phone. We would both put the same movie on and stay on the phone for the whole thing. Sounds kind of corny, but we really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rule #1 : Don't listen to other people. Do what's right for you. And BTW, I met my husband online too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in a long distance relationship for about a year before he decided to move up here. It works! Screw people's negativity :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink